From Thoubal to Shillong: My NEHU PhD Interview Experience

 A few weeks ago, I found myself packing a bag for Shillong, half-convinced I already knew how this trip would go. I'd cleared GATE 2026 in both Biotechnology and Life Sciences, and somewhere in my head I'd assumed that would be enough to walk straight into the interview room at NEHU's Biomedical Engineering department. I was wrong — and in hindsight, I'm glad I was.



The Assumption That Didn't Hold

When I applied to the PhD program, I genuinely thought a valid GATE scorecard would exempt me from sitting the written test. It's a reasonable enough thing to assume — GATE is meant to certify exactly the kind of subject competence a written test is trying to measure. But NEHU didn't see it that way. The written test was very much on the calendar, no exceptions.

There's a particular kind of humbling that comes from having your assumptions corrected by an admissions office. But it also reset my preparation instincts in a useful way — I stopped coasting on the GATE result and actually sat down and prepared properly, cross-referencing my nanoparticle and biotechnology background against core biomedical engineering topics I hadn't touched in a while.

Shillong, and a Week That Wasn't Just About the Exam

I traveled to Shillong on the 1st of August, a few days ahead of the exam, and stayed with my cousin, who's a doctor at NEIGHRIMS. There's something grounding about staying with family before a high-stakes exam — the city was new to me in this context, but the house wasn't a hotel room, and that mattered more than I expected it to.

The written test and interview were both on the 4th of August. The test came first, and then in the afternoon came the interview — the part I'd been quietly dreading and rehearsing for in equal measure.

The Interview Itself

It turned out to be far more straightforward than I'd built it up to be in my head. They asked me to introduce myself, and then the conversation moved naturally into my dissertation work — the green synthesis and characterization of metal nanoparticles, the antimicrobial testing — and from there into my research proposal. No trick questions, no attempts to catch me out. Just a panel genuinely interested in what I'd done and what I wanted to do next.

I think there's a lesson in that for anyone prepping for a PhD interview: the panel usually isn't trying to trip you up. They want to see if you can talk about your own work with clarity and if your proposed direction makes sense. If you know your dissertation inside out and you've thought through why you want to do this specific PhD, most of the anxiety turns out to be unnecessary.

After the Exam: Shillong, Then Guwahati

I didn't rush back home right away. I stayed on in Shillong for about a week after the interview, and then spent three more days in Guwahati with a friend before finally making my way back to Thoubal. It wasn't strictly necessary for the application process, but after months of preparing, applying, and waiting, it felt right to let the trip breathe a little before returning to the routine of checking my inbox for results.

Now, the Waiting

I'm home now, and the result hasn't come in yet. This particular kind of waiting is one I've become fairly familiar with over the past several months of PhD applications — the written test are the loud parts, but the silence afterward is where the real patience gets tested.

Whatever the outcome, this application taught me something I'll carry into the next one: don't assume the process will bend around your qualifications. Prepare as if nothing is guaranteed, walk in ready to talk plainly about your own work, and let the rest sort itself out.

Fingers crossed for NEHU.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Moment That Shattered Trust: My Story of Love and Deception

Failing the Faith in Their Tired Eyes

From Chaos to Clarity: My GATE 2026 Journey in Biotechnology & Life Sciences